Thursday, March 14, 2013

Magaliesberg Adventures


March 8th is International Women's Day and I celebrated in style with a few lady friends from the BPI. Aurore (a recent BPI graduate) emailed to ask if I was interested in joining the ladies for a day in the Magaliesberg. I was interested because we haven't had the opportunity to explore the mountain chain closest to Joburg. However, I balked slightly at the proposed activities due to my healthy fear respect of scary and potentially dangerous adventurous activities, but this time, I put the scary-cat away, and was a brave little chicken.

What did we do, you ask? Why we strapped ourselves into harnesses with carabiners and swung along cables above the treetops in the beautiful Magaliesberg, of course!


Here we are, just about to set out.
From Left to Right: Aurore, Christine, Rachel, me

Our first 'real glide' after our short training. 
Basically it goes like this: hold on gently (you'll burn through your leather glove if you don't!), keep your 'brake hand' behind you, don't look down, and enjoy the scenary.



We paused at the third glide (of seven) for KitKats and water before climbing the tower--approximately 3.5 stories above the ground. At the top, we could see monkeys enjoying some tasty leaves in the trees below us.




What do you mean I have to climb up that?


A successful glide for me! Reminder: don't wear shorts.

After gliding, we picnicked in a Nature Reserve about 45 minutes away. At this road, we took a right, headed towards the Scorpio Rally (even though 3 of 4 of us in the car are Aries with April 16th bdays). You'll notice we were also headed towards areas of recent unpleasantness. 
Luckily, life has calmed down a bit out there.


Our picnic was at this lovely pool at the nature reserve. What a view, eh?

This is Africa.


We took a short hike after eating, lounging and swimming in the pool. On our hike, we happened upon this cool rock that looks like a chicken!

So we climbed up to say hello.


Now, after these photos, I know ya'll are going to be lining up at JFK to come visit.
When you get here, we'll go ziplining. Promise.

3 comments:

  1. DAMMIT!! Erased them again!! Ok so As I was saying!! Love the pics! Love the land Can't wait to get there! Hopefully, I won't have to drag a "stick" out of the tall grass when I leave it though! I tell everyone about the steaks that Tyler is holding!!! Can;t wait to get there!!! Keep it warm fer me huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! This time I COPIED!! before I signed in!! Got it all down! OK so ..1)comment. 2) copy, 3) sign in, 4) if erased PASTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5) prove you ain't a bot!!! several times if needed!!!!! BUT if COPIED, just paste! I feel so superior right now, and good night!

    ReplyDelete