Sunday, May 25, 2014

Fruits of my labor

Two days after arriving in Joburg, I set off on a collecting trip up north to see my favorite trees.

The red place marker shows Thohoyandou, which is the area just south of the three rural villages that I visit. This is in the Venda region of Limpopo, just south of the Zimbabwe border, which is about a 5 hour drive from Johannesburg. The upper star is Johannesburg, and the lower star is where Jonah currently is on his field trip. You'll hear more about that when they get back later this week.



The landscape along the N1, north of Louis Trichardt. 


Our first stop was the newest baobab type specimen: Adansonia kilima. It appears that Kilima is a Melema supporter.


My MSc student, Ronie, trying to collect a fruit from kilima.


Village "roads"...I had a lot of fun driving on these! 


The fruits of our labor...mostly Ronie's labor.


Baobab fruit variation is pretty remarkable.


Late one night, after enjoying a night of beers and Cards Against Humanity (Thanks Augs!!) with Tyler, Dave Green (!!), and Blair, we broke open one of my extra fruits. The white powder is edible, and is apparently an acquired taste. The seeds can be pressed to make oil. I'll have to bring some home with me the next time so you can all try Africa's best kept secret!




No comments:

Post a Comment