Friday, December 7, 2012

Back from the 'Berg!



While Jonah was home holding down the fort, I was "galavanting" around the Drakensberg picking sweet-smelling daisies. Literally. Though my 'field work' doesn't require sharp outfits (see below), 


it does require some sure-footedness....climbing rocks at high elevations yet again! It's Houstonia all over again...




This time, I was looking for Helichrysum odoratissimum...and was duped several times:

 not it.


Nope, not it either. Grrrr...



GOT IT! (we think...)

But really, what you want to hear about (read about) are the amazing views of the 'Berg and the ANIMALS I saw while there. Yes, all were wild and roaming, some ventured closer than I'd have liked, so sadly I did not get photos of the BABOONS! Next time, don't worry.
This little guy is a Vervet Monkey...sneaky and cute.

This gent is apparently the "ugliest" of SA's herbivores...also known as a Hartebeest. Quite comical, creatures.

The Majestic Eland

A cricket in the garden...WHAT??

Mike's Pass, where we off-roaded to collect plants...you can't see it here, but it's a steep 1000m drop to the right. Eek.

This is a view from the top of Mike's Pass, the Drakensberg are topped with basalt deposits that form these amazingly stark and angular cliffs.

This snake was first identified as a BLACK MAMBA! (those who saw me before I left know I was mortified of coming upon one in the field...). Thankfully, it turns out this slowly slithering snake was not dangerous, but a olive green constrictor. Whew.

This is the view from the room I stayed in...which was on a conservation estate. Yes, I said Estate. Lovely, hey?

The town, Emmaus, that we drove through on our way to Mike's Pass. This was a "big" town, as there was a hospital, which was currently under construction, so patients were just chillin' in the road.

And in case you were wondering, there are mud huts in Africa, just not in Joburg. Driving through this town was incredibly humbling, because we have so much (especially as an American). Honestly, being in Africa has taught me multiple valuable life lessons in just the short time I've been here. Below are photos of houses, yes houses, as we drove through the town. I couldn't help but snap a few photos for folks back home.


Yes, this tin outbuilding is someone's house.


Back to animals: the adorable Impalas (Rooibok--named so for their 3/4 red coat)

And my favorite fowl: THE GUINEA HENS! These guys were hilarious as they darted back and forth across the road and picked at bugs. lol

Oh yes, the cricket diversity is tremendous here...

So, apparently in Africa you can drink the water. Straight from the source. I am not kidding. It's some of the cleanest, most delicious water, ever. As a Northeasterner, I was beyond skeptical, but Glynis (my advisor) looked so trusting, that I gave it a shot. What's the worst that could happen? A little Montezuma's revenge? Nah, he's in Mexico, water is safe in Africa. So, yes, if you were wondering, I drank right from that waterfall. And I'm alive to tell about it, and no discernible aftermath (yet).

Helichrysum appendiculatum
I kind of wanted to work on this plant because it's so purty.

And, of course, I'm in Africa, so there must be a photo of a Protea. Wowza.

Here's where we collected on our last day. UNESCO World Heritage Site- check.
Please note what you aren't supposed to do here...(third from left on top...)

After each hard day of climbing and collecting plants, we retired to the stoepe (back patio) with a glass of wine or sherry to enjoy some sundowners of Cathedral Peak in the Drakensberg. This is some of what's in store for you when you come visit.



2 comments:

  1. Amazingly beautiful! Makes you wonder how people survive without 9 bedroom 18 bath houses, huh? Of course I think I would "draw the line" at "chillin' on the roadside" waiting for a hospital to be build! Whew! I do think you need to work on your field wardrobe though. Can't have Jonah stealing ALL the highlights! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are some pretty amazing pictures. did that monkey throw and poop at you? ha :) miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete